Sunday, August 4, 2013

An Afternoon With My Apa

Since moving back to Los Angeles from Portland, Oregon I've made it a tradition to go to Church with my parents every Sunday. Then, after lunch with their friends, they come over and spend the rest of the day at my house. Even though my father is now 84 years old he still works full-time as a bookkeeper for a media company in Santa Monica, and seeing him during the week isn't always an option. So Sundays are our day together and may there be many, many more Sundays like this.

Today, I got my dad to sit with me and give me dates and some chronology in general so that I can better write the story of his life. I know he would have rather played chess , but he sat patiently and once in a while very emotionally retold some of the stories I grew up hearing of his childhood and escape from Hungary. Some stories make him laugh and smile as he remembers them, and many have him on the verge of tears. He gave me copious amounts of geneological information too about his own father, grandfather and great grandfather. I plan to steal some of his time every Sunday until I get all of the stories just right, and in between, on this blog, I will piece together what I already have.

As for today, I will share a picture of one of my father's childhood homes. The one I got to visit with him when I was 16 and he returned to visit Hungary for the first time after his escape in 1956. This is where he would get caught sliding down the bannisters of the great hall and received reprimands from the butlers as well as his father. To imagine, he was just a normal, rambunctious little boy growing up in a fantasy-world....with no idea that this world would be brutally ripped away from him and his family just years later.

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to further accounts retold by you Morayma! I have always felt privileged knowing a princess. Hello to your parents next Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much!! You are toooo kind!! =D

    ReplyDelete